Time management, I know that you have heard this time and time again, but time is something that you never get back so use it wisely. Alright, how do we master that skill? Great question I am not sure that very many of us have, I know that some days I manage my time very well and other days not so much. The definition of time management reads as such in Wikipedia: the act or process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity.
How do we become more productive by using time management?
- First we should create an environment that we can work in that has little to no distractions that will encourage creativity
- Set goals, this is the key to getting anything done and it helps you to know when you have gotten what you need to get done.
- Learn to do what it takes to get the goals met
- Get and stay organized
- Work to avoid procrastination
I know that this sounds easy and it is not as easy as I have presented it, this is something that I struggle with daily, so I understand. I make a list of goals for each day; I put them in order of most important first and least important last. I work from that list daily; sometimes I am successful in getting it all done, but not always.
Time management is a difficult thing to master, but once you understand it and learn to work with it, the benefits will be many. Here are some things that I have found that help me out.
- Make a daily list of what is important to get done that day.
- Carve out a block of time in your day to get this to do list done
- Say no to things that interfere with you getting your list completed
- Set your priorities-goals
- Never make the mistake of thinking that you will get an important task done in your spare time-this rarely happens.
Time management is something that we all struggle with, and I am sure we will continue to struggle with, however; we can take steps to help us get control of our time. When we learn how to manage our time we can reduce the stress in our lives and improve our productivity.
Time=life; therefore, waste your time and waste your life, or master your time and master your life. ~ Alan Lakein